Prevention is the key to a long and healthy life.
Even when your cat or dog doesn’t appear sick, they can still benefit from regular veterinary care. Pet exams give our doctors at Poway Animal Hospital an opportunity to inspect them from nose to tail and look for any abnormalities or signs of trouble. Pets are good at hiding discomfort, and many health issues aren’t apparent until they become more advanced. By bringing your pet in for annual wellness exams, we can prevent a myriad of health problems to help them live the happiest, healthiest life possible. Call (858) 748-3326 to schedule an appointment for your pet!
Our wellness checks begin by weighing pets in and taking their vital signs. Our vets then give all pets a thorough physical, checking their heart, ears, eyes, mouth, coat, skin, limbs, abdomen, and back. After all pet exams, we brief you on our findings and make recommendations for any further treatment. Common follow-up treatments include blood, urine, and fecal testing. Blood and urine testing can be performed the same day in our in-house lab, along with allergy testing, digital X-rays, and ultrasounds. Wellness exams are also the ideal time to have your pet’s vaccinations and parasite prevention treatments boosted.
Wellness Care For Every Stage Of Life
We recommend all pets be brought to see us once a year. However, most cats and dogs need extra care at certain stages of their lives. Therefore, we have special recommendations and services tailored to puppies and kittens, adults, and senior pets.
Puppies and Kittens
Puppies and kittens should be brought in to see a veterinarian very early in their lives. These young animals often need treatment from parasites contracted from their mothers. They should also be started off on their vaccination treatments as soon as possible. We offer free pet exams to all cats and dogs within ten days of their adoption to start them off on the right paw! At your pet’s first wellness check our doctors can establish a plan for vaccinations and parasite prevention; discuss spay or neuter surgery; and answer any questions you may have about diet, activity, microchipping, or behavior.
At Poway Animal Hospital we have a special place in our hearts for senior pets. Ideally, we recommend senior pets, animals over the age of seven, be brought in every six months for wellness visits. Additionally, we recommend older pets have blood work and X-rays taken annually, even if you can’t get them to see us every six months. As pets age, they become more susceptible to certain diseases and often experience joint and muscle pain. Therefore, we offer multiple pain management options for senior patients, including medication and laser therapy.
Wellness care is one of the cornerstones of giving your pets the best life possible. We look forward to getting to know you and your four-legged friends. For more information about pet exams or to make an appointment with one of our physicians call us at (858) 748-3326.
Protect your pet’s health with vaccines.
When you visit us with your pet for the first time, we’ll talk more in-depth about a vaccination schedule that will suit their needs. Certain diseases, such as rabies, are often fatal to household pets and can be spread via contact with an infected wild animal. Also, rabies is transferable and potentially fatal to humans, so always make sure to keep your pet’s shots up to date!
Our vaccines for dogs include:
- Rabies vaccine – The rabies vaccine is required by law for dogs. We administer this vaccination when puppies are four months old.
- Distemper, Parvovirus, Adenovirus combo – This highly recommended core vaccine provides protection against four potentially fatal diseases.
- Bordetella – Protect your dog against the respiratory disease known as “kennel cough.” Since this infection is highly contagious, it is recommended for all social dogs.
- Influenza – This offers protection against the canine influenza virus (CIV). This highly contagious respiratory virus causes flu-like symptoms and is different from Bordetella. We recommend the influenza vaccine for all dogs that are social and frequently board, visit the dog park, and travel with their owners.
- Rattlesnake vaccine – Provides protection from the venom of the American Diamondback Rattlesnake. However, you still need to seek medical attention if a rattlesnake bites your dog.
- Lyme – Protects against Lyme disease, which is spread by ticks. This is recommended for dogs who may be traveling to the East Coast or other areas where Lyme disease is prevalent.
Our vaccines for cats include:
- Rabies vaccine – The rabies vaccine is also required by law for cats. Kittens should receive this vaccination at four months old.
- Feline Distemper (FVRCP) – A core vaccination which provides protection against three diseases: feline viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, and panleukopenia.
- Feline Leukemia – Because this virus is spread from cat to cat, we recommend this vaccine for any cat that spends time outdoors.
We're here when you need us.
Use the links below to contact us or book an appointment. If you have any questions, please call us directly at 845-592-4462.
Come say hello!
12219 Poway Rd.
Poway, CA 92064
monday - friday: 7:15 am - 5:30 pm
saturday: 7:30 AM - 2:00 pm