Our pets, as happy as they can be, are also susceptible to experiencing symptoms of anxiety. They may not express anxiety the same way we do, so the team at Poway Animal Hospital wants to help you learn how to spot the signs. Here’s how.
Anxiety signs in dogs
Anxiety signs in dogs can be subtle. If your pet is in a situation that could trigger anxiety, such as hearing a thunderstorm, going for a car ride, or meeting new people, watch for the following signs:
- Inappropriate elimination
- Seeking comfort or hiding
- Excessive licking or chewing
- Excessive panting or drooling
How to soothe anxiety in your dog
Depending on what triggers your pet’s anxiety, some management methods may be more effective than others. However, a multimodal treatment plan generally works best. If you notice anxiety issues in your four-legged friend, try a combination of the following steps:
- Exercise with your dog — A bored dog is more prone to behavior issues like anxiety. Daily mental and physical exercise will help tire out your pet and give their mind something else to focus on.
- Create a safe space — If strangers visit or a thunderstorm rolls in, your dog will appreciate having a safe space to retreat to that’s outfitted with a cozy bed and plenty of long-lasting treats.
- Stick to a schedule — Sudden changes in schedule, such as if you return to your office after working from home, can cause increased anxiety in your dog. Try to maintain the same daily schedule.
- Remove your dog’s anxiety triggers — If your dog becomes increasingly agitated as people walk past your window, block their access. Removing anxiety triggers inside and outside your home can help calm your pet.
Does your furry pal suffer from anxiety, whether it’s caused by storms, separation, or life in general? If so, don’t wait another minute. Contact our team to schedule a behavior consultation to get your pet relief.
Ready to come see us?
Use the button below to schedule an appointment. If you have any questions, please call us directly at 845-592-4462.