At Poway Animal Hospital, we want your pet to stay as safe and healthy as possible! Therefore, we are happy to offer a range of core and lifestyle vaccines. Since pet vaccinations protect pets and humans from highly contagious and dangerous diseases, they are an important part of public safety. If you have a new puppy or kitten, schedule a wellness exam right away. We will establish an individualized vaccination schedule for your pet, including booster shots, to ensure a long, healthy life.
vaccinations we provide
When you visit us with your pet for the first time, we'll talk more in-depth about a vaccination schedule that will suit their needs. Certain diseases, such as rabies, are often fatal to household pets and can be spread via contact with an infected wild animal. Also, rabies is transferable and potentially fatal to humans, so always make sure to keep your pet's shots up to date!
Our vaccines for dogs and cats include:
vaccinations for dogs
- Rabies vaccine- The rabies vaccine is required by law for dogs. We administer this vaccination when puppies are 4 months old.
- Distemper, Parvovirus, Adenovirus combo- This highly recommended core vaccine provides protection against four potentially fatal diseases.
- Bordetella- Protect your dog against the respiratory disease known as "kennel cough." Since this infection is highly contagious, it is recommended for all social dogs.
- Influenza- Offers protection against the canine influenza virus (CIV). This highly-contagious respiratory virus causes flu-like symptoms and is different from Bordetella. We recommend the influenza vaccine for all dogs that are social and frequently board, visit the dog park, and travel with their owners.
- Rattlesnake vaccine- Provides protection from the venom of the American Diamondback Rattlesnake. However, you still need to seek medical attention if a rattlesnake bites your dog.
- Lyme- Protects against Lyme disease, which is spread by ticks. Recommended for dogs who may be traveling to the East Coast or other areas where Lyme disease is prevalent.
vaccinations for cats
- Rabies vaccine- The rabies vaccine is also required by law for cats. Kittens should receive this vaccination at 4 months old.
- Feline Distemper (FVRCP)- A core vaccination which provides protection against three diseases: feline viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirus and panleukopenia.
- Feline Leukemia- Because this virus is spread from cat to cat, we recommend this vaccine for any cat that spends time outdoors.