Poison Prevention Week is March 19 – 25, so we at Poway Animal Hospital would like to remind you of some items you probably have sitting around your home that could prove to be poisonous to your beloved companion.
- Drugs. Have a headache? Pop a Tylenol. But, if your pet accidentally gets into some of your human medication, including aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen, you could be facing a severe pet health emergency. Other human medicines to keep away from pets include cold medicines, antidepressants, vitamins, diet pills, and drugs that fight cancer.
- Strings. We don’t like when strings are attached. Still, your pet will dislike it even more because stringy items, including yarn, rubber bands, dental floss, and the like, can be easily swallowed by your pet, causing intestinal blockages or even strangulation, both of which can be fatal.
- Repellents. Some insect control products, including many over-the-counter flea and tick preventives, could be toxic to your furry pal. Prescription products are always safest, but even a prescription medication meant for a dog could be deadly if used on a cat. Always ask us which flea and tick products are best for your pets.
Many household and garden items are dangerous for your pets. Watch for poisonous plants, toys with small parts, rawhide chews, human foods (chocolate, artificial sweeteners, chicken bones, alcohol, onions, and grapes, to name a few), and holiday décor.
If you suspect your pet has gotten into something they shouldn’t have, contact our office immediately. We offer walk-in emergency treatment during regular business hours. You can also call the Pet Poison Helpline 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
Ready to come see us?
Use the button below to schedule an appointment. If you have any questions, please call us directly at 845-592-4462.