Fear Free Certified
Everyone has been nervous about going to the doctor. However, unlike people, we can't explain to our pets that going is what's best for them when they get scared. That's why Poway Animal Hospital is a Fear Free Certified practice. Because you can't tell your dog or cat not to be afraid, we show them they don't have to be. The goal of Fear Free is to "take the pet out of petrified," by providing education for doctors and veterinary staffs. Our staff will use the most gentle, stress-reducing methods possible when treating your pet. Additionally, they can offer guidance and tips to you on how to utilize those practices at home.
What Does Fear Free Mean?
In order to become a Fear Free Certified practice our staff has undergone a specialized training program to help them learn to alleviate fear, anxiety, and stress in pets. Areas of training include:
- Behavior Modification
- Teaching owners to calmly transport cats and dogs to and from their veterinarian
- How to create a fear free waiting area
- Protocols for creating a fear free environment in the exam room
- Proper, calming care
- Performing fear free procedures
- Therapeutics, products, and pharmaceuticals to calm pets before their visit
- The least stressful methods of sedation, anesthesia, and analgesia
Benefits of a Fear Free Clinic
Fear Free certification is beneficial to everyone involved. Not only does it improve emotional well-being for pets, it reduces stress for owners, which increases your likelihood of bringing them in for regular care. Fear free pets are also more likely to comply with doctors during exams, making the process safer for both patients and medical staff members.